Tuesday 2 September 2014

What To Do and Not To Do On BBM

I'm sure quite a good number of us have BBM in our phones, either Iphone, Nokia or Samsung. I remember there was a time when if you didn't have a blackberry, you are missing big time on BBM chats . But thank God, now you can chat on BBM with any device you have...Thanks to Obasanjo who brought telephone into Nigeria...hehehe

Okay, this time am not going political at all. I want to talk about the things we should avoid doing on BBM. I know a lot of us are BBM addict, i confess i am...yes oh. But even in the midst of being an addict, you can act professional and earn respect through the way you communication on BBM, from status update to display picture and most especially broadcast messages!!! kai, some people act like they sent them from their village with the way they send broadcast messages. I get some annoying broadcast message that says "Hello, is anyone awake''.

When its a celebration period, be rest assured that if you have 30 contacts, you will recieve loads of broadcast. whether you are a suspect or a victim, here are some things on what to do and not to do on Blackberry Messenger (BBM)...My suggestions though!!!


 Lets start with your STATUS UPDATE.

Your status should be funny, inspirational and motivational because nobody wants to read boring messages such as ''I'm tired, depressed, no ping please, I'm hungry...''. Do you know why? Its simple, because your status indirectly reflects your personality, your uniqueness- is he/she intelligent, smart or dull? The answers can be know from your status update.
The more unique you are with your status, the better chances people will think you are interesting. For me, before i start a proper conversation with you after adding to my BBM contacts, i look at your status update. It will tell me the kind of person am dealing with.

Now let me ask you, how often do you change your STATUS on BBM?

Once everyday, twice, once in 2 weeks...!!! At first when i started using BBM , i use to change my status like every minute. So am also guilty of this. But let me say that it is advisable to change your status once every 2-3 days. Now this depends on if you have something clever to say, but if you don't, biko don't change that update.
The reason why i say this is that, if you change too often, that means you have nothing else to do- you are jobless and less busy and secondly, people that change their status too often are seen as attention seekers. This is my own perception though. Do you agree with me?


 Lets look at the PROFILE PICTURE.

Just make a few professional photo of you and put it as profile pic. If you want to be seen as a smart and intelligent somebody, don't put exposing pictures of yourself. And also, it is not necessary to change your profile every minute too because that is also attention seeking- ''Hey this is me again, am beautiful''. You don't need people to tell you that you are beautiful before you know it. Girls are the main culprits here. So i advise you change your profile pic every 2 -3 weeks...I know you will say its hard, but try it out and you will feel good about yourself.
Instead of even using your pic all the time, you can use posters (funny one/ inspirational). But make sure they suit your personality abeg. Every single thing you do on BBM must reflect you.

How often do you REPLY MESSAGES on BBM?

It is considered rude to keep your messages pinned down for more than 2-3minutes. But you see, it is okay to take at least 1-2 minutes before you respond. It shows you are not just sitting down expecting someone to ping. I sometimes leave my ping to last for 10 minutes before i respond. All that matters is that you leave it for few minutes before you respond.

Ewo, now the Koko- BROADCAST MESSAGES

I kneel down for ground dey beg, biko take it easy with the way you broadcast messages. As a professional, do not broadcast at all, you can send it as a direct chat. The reason why i say this is that it lowers your value..walai. Broadcast is for people who have nothing to do and seek for attention. Don't be dumb to think that if you send 25 broadcast a day it shows you are active. Too much broadcast degrades you. So take it easy on the broadcast message. In short DON'T BROADCAST. Send a direct message instead.

In all, know that non- verbal communication tells more about you than verbal communication. What you do on social media, has a way of telling people the kind of person you are- Act Right...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally disagree with you. It is people like you that cause problems in this world. I read other post from you and thought you are intelligent till I read this crap. If you have a husband, please don't kill him with you opinions.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm this post sha!! I think people are entitled to their opinions, some people have all the time in the world and some don't,some are more into social networking than others, I just think that its all different for people. Some are also more expressive than others and so take to changing PMs and maybe DPs too,it doesn't necessarily mean they are seeking attention though, that is too conclusive. I agree with you just 20percent on some of these issues but largely disagree.As for broadcasts, yes some idiots misuse it but I think if you have something to say, the best way to send it to all of your 200 contacts is to send a broadcast not send it individually, that will be the job of the jobless person.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you uwi. A lot of people have become something else on BBM. That thing has even ended relationships and broken marriages. There is time for everything, my bf used to be a serious addicts,when we go out he will punch his phone than talk to me, if I drive he is punching his phone, I had to start suspecting him because I was always wondering who he kept chatting with. He is a good man though but that habit nearly broke us up several times till I threw the phone out the window one evening after seeing a movie. Mine will be that addicts should plz watch it, you won't know when you replace your partner with your phone, and that feeling of being replaced by your partner can end it. And besides it doesn't encourage face to face conversation which is another killer of effective communication among lovers.

Anonymous said...

I don't change my dp and pm often but I find those who do interesting because in my spare time their dps and pms keep me busy lol,I don't think its right to say they are jobless or attention seekers, pls that is rather rash and might make you (uwi) sound like someone who easily concludes without balancing thoughts. I find some contacts irritating as well because they are always changing dps too often,every minuite its a new pic or broadcast. My husband changes his a lot because he sings and needs to stay active on social media, but you won't expect a doctor to keep doing that because the nature of their job is different. You look so preety though..weldone dear

Anonymous said...

Nice one dear....keep it up. (Shade)

Anonymous said...

More wisdom dear. Just be careful with opinions though. Stan U.S.A

princessuvbi said...

Its your opinion though and I respect it. I wrote this based on my own opinion. It doesn't make me less of a woman. You replied me based on your opinion, does it make you less of a man or woman? NO. The thing is that in order not to let social media take the highest percentage of the way people view us, we can control it. Am an addict like tomorrow no dey. But am trying to reduce the way am so glued to my BBM as it doesn't tell well of me.

princessuvbi said...

yes ,.... you are very correct. I think meaningful broadcast message will go a long way . Some people bombard you with broadcast message that are not meaningful. Like there was one I saw one time that says if I don't re-broadcast something will happen to me. We should just be careful with broadcast messages. My friend use to delete people that bombard her with broadcast messages. Thank you for your comment

princessuvbi said...

Thank you so much, I think the bottom line is that we should allow social network take the place of inter personal communication. Social sites can actually destroy a relationship if not properly managed. Because your partner might send you something and you will decode it another way. Before it can be corrected, you are already upset. Lets just be careful really. I appreciate your comment, please keep it coming

princessuvbi said...

yes you are very correct. When am bored, I just go through peoples Status. That's why I said funny status will go along way. Thank you for the compliment, really appreciate

princessuvbi said...

Thank you so much shade

princessuvbi said...

hahahahha...Amen ohhhhh. Thank you so much.

Unknown said...

Nice one

...With Every Click Online, You Make Money Not For Yourself But For?

This is a lovely piece from Professor Isa and i find it very interesting and eye opening. Read below; "My Dear Nigerian Youths&qu...